In the previous blog, we have discussed the importance of skincare during winter. Now, let's scroll down to get the greatest pieces of advice to protect your skin this winter!
Below are some very handy tips to get you prepared for the colder months ahead…
Modify your skincare routine
- ✓ Opt for a gentler less-foamy cleanser with a formula that is free of sulphates, soaps and other detergent based ingredients that leave the skin feeling tight and dry. Also, cleansing your skin daily is important, but over cleansing and stripping essential moisture can leave you with skin hungry for moisture and balance.
- ✓ Consider adding a more hydrating, vitamin-rich serum to your routine for an extra boost of moisture and protection. The healthier and more hydrated your skin is, the better it will be able to defend itself.
- ✓ A restorative night cream is a must for winter. PM creams are more intensive and nutrifying so as to assist the skin in its natural healing and repairing functions whilst we sleep. Be sure to apply a healthy does to your skin as soon as you have left the shower.
- ✓ Keep applying sunscreen even on grey overcast days. The sun’s harmful UV rays still have a way of finding us at times you wouldn’t imagine it could. Don’t think twice and make it a daily habit.
- ✓ Invest in a good lip balm. Wind-chapped lips not only look unflattering but they can also be rather sore! Steer clear of petroleum-based balms that dehydrate lips long term, instead of using a lip treatment enriched with natural ingredients including essential oils, Shea butter and beeswax. Apply daily with your favourite lip colour and before bed for a soft supple and well-hydrated pout.
- ✓ Resurface and brighten the skin with a weekly exfoliation treatment. The winter chill and artificial heating dry out the skin at a rapid rate, but it’s important to remember that over exfoliating can also have the same effect. Stick to X2 weekly.
- ✓ Use a hydrating face mist often, even over makeup.
- ✓ Opt for a more natural, chemical-free skincare brand. They are often less potentially irritating and gentler with biocompatible natural ingredients that better moisturise, protect and soothe compromised skin.
Origani Recommends: Erda Daily Glow Toning Cleanser, Ageless by Nature Youth Infusion Booster Serum, Erda Soothing and Reviving Night Cream, Mineral Lover Lip Balm, and Erda Manuka Honey Peel.
Modify your environment
- ✓ Consider installing a humidifier in your home (particularly in the bedroom) to put moisture back into the air. Not only will it assist in preventing a dry sore throat and blocked nose, but it will also stop your skin from drying out.
- ✓ While no doubt essential in the winter months, heating systems can significantly dry out the air, dehydrating the skin. Refrain from blasting the heating in your car directly on your face and turn down the thermostat so the temperature is comfortable but not too hot.
- ✓ Protect your skin and body from the harsh winter elements by wearing protective clothing. Layer up and enjoy!
Modify your behaviours
- ✓ Sip on warm winter tea in winter is a great way to boost your immunity and keep you warm on the inside. They are full of antioxidants which also fortify your complexion. Opt for green, ginger and lemon and chamomile and pop some Manuka Honey into sooth a sore throat (only to warm tea).
- ✓ While a steaming hot shower is tempting, it’s not a good idea for your skin. Ever so slightly lower the water temp to stop your skin from drying out. Be sure to moisturise both face and body as soon as you get out.
- ✓ Keep up our H2O intake. You may not feel as thirsty in the winter months (it’s a time we generally drink less) but it’s still important to reach your 8 glass a day goal.
- ✓ Limit your alcohol intake. While a full-bodied shiraz by the fire is lovely, limit your intake as its very dehydrating.
- ✓ Swap to gentler, chemical-free detergents (kitchen and laundry). They are kinder to drier skin.
- ✓ Don’t forget to moisturise your body too. Just because it’s not the skin on your face and not generally as visible in the colder months, the skin on the rest of your body needs it just as much. Origani recommends Whipped Body Butter in Pure Tranquillity.
So, it seems that happy and glowing winter skin is more achievable than ever. A few modifications to suit the season is all it takes and starting now is the perfect time to get your skin ready for the colder days and nights to come.
Face this beautiful time of year with a complexion that radiates health and vitality. Be good to your skin and it will be good to you!